marți, 13 aprilie 2010

How to Reboot on Multiple OS Selections

Even though I have Windows7 installed on my machine, in the classroom where I teach, I have the need to use Windows XP for some operations that Windows7 can’t perform. In my situation, I have Server 2008 virtual machines that won’t run on Windows 7, but they will run on Windows XP. I have created a dual boot partition with Windows7 and WinXP for those occasions if in need to use one operating system vs another.

I have found a tiny but effective software tool, iReboot, that will allow me to choose which OS to use on reboot. When I say tiny the file size is only 248K. When you install it,  which takes about a minute, it gets loaded on the taskbar.

iReboot is a simple but effective reboot tool. iReboot sits on the taskbar at startup and it lets you choose which operating system you want to reboot into. (The Partition and alternate OS must already exist.)

Instead of going to the start button, and pressing restart, and you have to wait for Windows to shut down, then wait for the computer BIOS to post, then followed by selecting the operating system you want to boot into (within the time-limit bootloader period). With iReboot you just select that entry and go.

Start the Installation Process

2

Setup

3.

License Agreement

4.

Choose Icon Locations

41

iReboot Is Starting

5.

Installation Complete

6.

Icon On Task Bar

7.

iReboot

8.

iReboot On Selection - Select the Operating System

In this configuration there are two operating systems, Windows 7, and Windows XP (the earlier version of Windows)

Source:  Reboot With NeoSmart Technologies –  iReboot